When you put up a business sign or a yard sign, you do it with a singular hope: that people will read it. But you’d be surprised at just how many people go through their day and pass your sign without paying it the slightest bit of attention.
That might sound like sacrilege coming from a signage company like Sign It Quick. But the truth is, if you don’t differentiate your sign from the competition’s signage, people are simply going to tune your business out. What you need to do is learn how to differentiate your sign using practical techniques.
Study Your Competition First
One of the best ways to start marketing your business is to look around in the industry and at the competition and see what’s going on. What are the strategies you need to be aware of—and how can you improve over your competition’s marketing?
When it comes to signage, look for the following indicators:
- What style of sign do people in your industry typically use?
- What other types of business are you competing with when it comes to customer attention?
- What kind of sign would help your business stand out the most?
These are some basic-level questions, no doubt. But they’ll get you started on the right path: seeing things from your potential customer’s perspective.
Find Subtle Ways to Stand Out
At Sign It Quick, we know that standing out is priority #1 for signage. But if you’re not in the signage business yourself, it can be easy to miss some of these little subtle changes. That’s why we introduce the following options for our customers:
- 3-Dimensional Lettering. If all of your competition is in 2D, then a simple idea like 3-Dimensional Lettering is a great way to create an eye-popping sign.
- Colors and contrast. Perhaps more than anything, colors and contrast will make your sign stand out from its surrounding environment. You wouldn’t put up a camouflage sign in a farm field, after all.
- Discover new avenues of “eye traffic.” How can you get more people to see your signage? Maybe your competition is completely missing out on the idea of car door magnets. But you won’t.
- Be bold. It’s okay to be bold. Although some business owners are hesitant about outlandish marketing styles, there’s nothing over the top about high-quality vehicle wraps & graphics—especially if they’re done the right way. Sometimes, it’s not about attracting customers, but about being bold, upfront, and letting them know you’re here.
Signs can help make you money. But only if you put the signs to work like you would an employee. If you want to get the most from your signage, make sure that you investigate more than simply the style of logo you want—put in real effort to consider the customer’s perspective, to learn how you can differentiate yourself from the competition, and how to create a simple, attractive message that will drive business your way. And if you’re ever confused on any step of that journey, simply contact us and we’ll help you create memorable signage.